Observe Holocaust Remembrance Day with “iMordecai”

During Yom HaShoah (Holocaust Remembrance Day), which lasts April 17-18, students can learn more about the Holocaust and how it impacted one Jewish family by watching the film “iMordecai.”

Azia Dinea Hale, known for her role in “F9: The Fast Saga,” portrays the character Nina in “iMordecai.” Nina is a young phone store employee who befriends a Holocaust survivor, Mordecai Samel.

“I genuinely fell in love with my character, Nina. I think that she is someone that I really understand and relate to with how big her heart is and wanting to do good in the world,” Dinea

Hale said. “She discovers something very traumatic within her family that makes her want to be a better person than the people that she came from. So I think that her story was very enticing to me.”

“iMordecai” was released in theaters Feb. 24.

The film is based on a true story and follows Mordecai, played by Judd Hirsch. After leaving his home as a child during World War II, Mordecai now lives in Miami with his wife Fela, played by Carol Kane. With the support of Nina, Fela, and his son (played by Sean Astin), Mordecai learns the joys of being a kid again through painting, listening to music and spending time with friends.

“iMordecai” was filmed in Miami and directed by Mordecai Samel’s son, Marvin Samel.

“I had a lot of conversations with Marvin. I think he had a very clear idea of what he wanted Nina to be. And with that came a lot of research,” Dinea Hale said. “I had to learn a lot about the Holocaust and learn about different stories of people who had intimate or close relations to people who were involved in it. Whether that was with a family member or somebody who was actually in the camps and had interactions with really horrible SS officers.”

Dinea Hale encourages people who watch “iMordecai” to take away the themes of self-forgiveness and staying true to yourself.

“I think that it’s really important to love and take care of yourself as much as you can. And if you find something that you’re passionate about and that makes you happy, then that should be the goal,” Dinea Hale said. “Do what you love. Don’t feel pressured to follow something that isn’t for you. I think go to school for what you want to go to school for, and just make sure you love it. Make sure that what you’re doing every single day is something that makes your soul happy.”

“iMordecai” is now available to purchase on DVD and digitally on iTunes.

About the Author

Eric Mason
NSU professor in the Department of Communication, Media, and the Arts, advising The Current on online distribution and web design.

Be the first to comment on "Observe Holocaust Remembrance Day with “iMordecai”"