DJ Spotlight: Yosef Nahon, aka DJ Mr. E

Welcome to the DJ Spotlight, a series of stories dedicated to highlighting the people who shape Mako Radio’s sound and keep college radio cool.

For this spotlight, Mako Radio’s most mysterious host will have his day in the sun. Yosef Nahon aka DJ Mr. E talks love, loss, and the significance of connection. Yosef has the longest tenure at Mako Radio. He’s been on the air for three years, and in his time he’s picked up a useful set of skills.

COURTESY OF YOSEF NAHONYosef Nahon, volunteer DJ at Mako Radio.

COURTESY OF YOSEF NAHON Yosef Nahon, volunteer DJ at Mako Radio.

“Knowing how to adapt quickly and keep the [show] going, keep the waves going, is all very important and knowing how to be on the fly,” Nahon said.

Nahon’s show is a curated experience. Every song builds on the overarching theme of romance.

“I like indie some, I like pop-rock meets heavy metal to some extent. So when I composed my theme for my show, I tied it around the loss of love and different ways of saying ‘I miss my ex.'”

Like most creatives, Nahon’s expression comes from personal experience. For him, “sad boy” isn’t an aesthetic; it’s an outlet.

“The most prevalent emotion in my life is sadness and the way I cope with it is listening to sad music. It is a way of kind of getting the tears out. I want to express it in my show’s theme,” Nahon said.

Late nights with DJ Mr. E are as much about the listening experience as they are about the connection. Every week Nahon carves out a space where it is okay to not be okay.

“Those that do come and enjoy the show are those that also like to share the moment, not just enjoy but make the most of it. A person who wants to [listen to] my show wants to get out of the tears just as much as I do. It’s almost kind of like a group dump session,” Nahon said.

Nahon’s best memories at the station are steeped in the theme of connection. He said the best nights are the ones spent with friends in the booth.

Tune into WKPX 88.5 FM every Thursday from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. to get to the bottom of DJ Mr. E.

Be the first to comment on "DJ Spotlight: Yosef Nahon, aka DJ Mr. E"