On the increase of student enrollments

On Aug. 22, my life changed for the better. I took a deep breath and ventured onto campus for the first time. As I put one foot in front of the other, my heart beat faster and faster in my chest, not because I was nervous, but because I was excited to be at NSU.

As I reached the Don Taft University Center with the help of the campus map, I heard the echo of what sounded like thousands of voices. There were students everywhere, walking to class with their friends or going to grab lunch. As I ventured into the University Center, I heard voices coming from every corner. “Wow,” I said to myself, “there are so many students here.” Feeling excited to make new friends and explore the campus, I made my way to Starbucks. But, as giddy as I was, I began to hear students moaning and groaning behind me.

“Why does this line take so long?”

“I have to get to class—This is ridiculous.” “They shouldn’t have accepted so many students into the school,” they whined.

As I stood in line listening to these comments from students, I wondered why they could not see the positives of the increase in student population. I thought back to orientation, and the words “Welcome to the largest freshman class we have had in 80 years with 2,000 students” rang in my head. Sure, the increase in student admissions would cause longer lunch lines and parking challenges, but this increase in students should not be viewed negatively.

One of the greatest things about more students is more diversity on campus. It is important that all universities have a diverse and accepting campus where every student can feel included and appreciated. Diversity is a huge part of what makes school feel warm and welcoming. A diverse campus allows for new viewpoints among students and staff, as well as new foods and cultures to be shared. This is a great way for students to learn from one another and share their traditions and stories. This can also help to positively influence students’ viewpoints and perspectives.

The increase in student admissions this year has also provided greater funding to NSU. More funding flowing into the university means new buildings can be built, new parking garages can be added, and new on-campus restaurants can be introduced. All of these additions can allow students to experience better campus life, filled with all of the amenities that students need.

A busier, more appealing campus means that NSU will never resemble a quiet, empty, ghost town-like school. When I first walked onto NSU’s campus and saw the bustling school, it made me feel at home. The university felt lively and welcoming, rather than empty and grim.

As a new NSU student, I enjoy the chaotic commotion of this campus. I am happy to be a part of NSU’s socially thriving campus, despite the long Starbucks line. I hope that NSU continues to grow and evolve over the coming years. Here’s to three more years of listening to students complain in the lunch line, because, in my opinion, it is so worth it.

About the Author

Eric Mason
NSU professor in the Department of Communication, Media, and the Arts, advising The Current on online distribution and web design.

Be the first to comment on "On the increase of student enrollments"