Spotlight: Farid Sar-Sar, pro soccer player

After signing with Inter Miami CF, Farid Sar-Sar becomes NSU’s sixth men’s soccer player to sign a professional contract. The former Sharks captain signed with the Fort Lauderdale based club on Feb. 24, joining the MLS Next Pro squad.

In his short two years as a Shark, Sar-Sar was a starting defender in all 39 games played throughout the 2021 and 2022 seasons, logging 3,437 minutes, 14 shots, a game-winning goal against Florida Tech and two-time All-Time Sunshine State Conference recognition.

“At NSU, I have unforgettable memories that I will always hold near and dear. This program has allowed me to grow as a student-athlete but mostly as a person, and I am thankful for that and the lifelong relationships and lessons along the way,” Sar-Sar said.

The native of Argentina had a great impact on the defensive end in his first year with the No. 5 on his back. Sar-Sar lead the Sharks to the Final Four, having won its first-ever Sunshine State Conference Championship and South Regional Championship since joining the NCAA Division II and the Sunshine State Conference in 2005.

“In my first year in Nova Southeastern University’s men’s soccer program, we made history, and that was the result of not just the hard work and determination to accomplish our goals but the friendships built in the locker room,” he said.

Following his graduation in December, Sar-Sar continued chasing his dream of becoming a professional soccer player and signing a contract. Having try-outs for different teams in Florida, Sar-Sar caught the attention of Inter Miami CF, now home to one of the greatest players of all time, Lionel Messi.

“I was in the right place at the right time. During the try-outs, I showed who I am on and off the field, and the coaches luckily liked me for my game and personality,” Sar-Sar said.

As a result of his performance, on Feb. 24, Sar-Sar signed a professional contract with Inter Miami CF to compete in the MLS Next Pro, the third tier of the United States soccer league system. Having No. 58, Sar-Sar joined the Inter Miami CF II squad for the 2023 season that started in late March. So far, the Argentinian has started in nine out of the 13 appearances and scored the winning goal against Philadelphia Union II in his first game as captain and player of Inter Miami CF II.

“I am still learning and still getting to know the organization, but all I can say is I am extremely blessed and grateful for being here and working alongside amazing people,” Sar-Sar said.

Be the first to comment on "Spotlight: Farid Sar-Sar, pro soccer player"